Sunday, July 5, 2009

Picking Blueberries...or not...

It seems like an easy question and one completely devoid of implications related to multiple sclerosis, but that is not quite the case.
Anyone who has picked blueberries, or any other berries, knows that the motion for the picking can be tough on your back and generally, heat makes the berries sweeter. So, bloueberry picking is usually a hot, physically stressful passtime.
Last year, I went with a dear friend and picked berries not too far from our home. We picked about five pounds of berries in an hour or so. I suffered for it for days.
The blueberry farm is on a fairly steep hill leaving me on awkward footing. Furthermore, the best way to pick blueberries is to tie a bucket around your waist and roll the berries off the bush and into the bucket. This is awkward on anyone's back, but one of the major pain centers for me with my MS is my lower back. For years, we thought I had sciatica, not multiple sclerosis and my lower back has a tendancy to simply seize sometimes making walking or standing difficult. Just over an hour in the hot July sun and the awkward stance of blueberry picking led to one of those seizures. I could barely walk afterward.
Now, the upside of picking blueberries is that exercise, though painful and unpleasant, is one of the best things for fighting MS without medications. The healthier overall that I can keep my body, the fewer relapses I tend to have.
Another upside of picking blueberries is that they are way cheaper if you pick them yourself. This is important because I eat a lot of blueberries. Blueberries are a superfood, a tremendous antioxidant and great for my natural fighting MS diet.
So when the opportunity to go berry picking today arose, I was torn. The day is humid, but not overly hot. But the hill is still steep and I have to be able to walk tomorrow for work. So I skipped the berry picking. It left me frustrated and angry. Something so simple and such fun (chatting with a friend and enjoying the day) should not have implications for days and days, but it does.

No comments: