Thursday, June 21, 2007

Introductions and Things

This is my new blog about the things that concern me the most: MS and the news. I envision that there will be times when it will also stray in topics involving my favorite artists (visual, not musical) and my cat. I might even occasion mention the man in my life, but well, if I talk about him too much, he'll just be annoyed.
So, this is my story. I hope you'll find it helpful or funny or just so danged annoying that you have to read it.

Printer's ink is in my blood, I'm convinced of it. It's not that any members of my family have had the passion for the print media that I have. It's just that after ahndling so many newspapers, I'm pretty certain that the ink begins to sink in. There was a time when I thought my fingers were permanently stained black from the ink.

So, I got a couple degrees in journalism and worked in the field for a few years, and then discovered that it interfered with having a life. But I couldn't quite get the news out of my system and a year ago came back to it, working as a fulltime freelancer, for print papers and for websites or whoever pays.

Two years ago I also found out that I have relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis. I am actually one of the luck ones. So far, my case seems mild and I have been able to avoid relapses, but it hasn't been easy and I can't say tat I like what I'm hearing from others with MS.

I was never really the outdoorsy type, but I have always measured my freedom by my ability to get up and go wherever I want to. My MS has prevented this. I have a relay problem between my right foot and my brain. I think maybe my foot led the mutiny.

However it happened, I find that the major effect of my MS is that sometimes my right foot simply won't do what I tell it. This is especially difficult when walking or driving a car for long periods of time. Combine the two, like say try to walk after driving for two hours, and the result is miserable. I look like a drunken zombie, arms out-stretched to try to maintain my balance.

But I remind myself, on my good days, that I am a lucky one. I can still walk and do it without a cane or walker or wheelchair. On my bad days, I remind myself of the things I can't do like play tennis or enjoy a steaming hot tub.

Yeah, of all the things my MS took away, I think I miss steaming hot baths the most. Heat is bad for MS and I used to love taking a hot bath with a nice book of brain candy (also known as a romance novel). I never particularly liked extreme heat, but now I find that a summer trip to the grocery store can sap my strength for the rest of the day.

I was officially diagnosed with MS two years ago, but I am fairly certain that I have had it for six years. The first time I was tested, I had all the major symptoms, but the MRI came back clean so the doctors decided it was just sciatica. Stupid neurologist! And stupid me for not demanding more testing! But hey, who really wants to ask them to check again when they tell you they were wrong about the horrible diagnosis. I should have, but well, 20/20 hindsight and all that.

No comments: