Friday, July 6, 2007

And now for something completely different....

I'm not the hugest of Monty Python fans, but I do really love that phrase...it seems so appropriate so often.
Until now, all I've talkedabout is my MS and this is sort of related , but mostly not. In the days before I ever got sick, I was a reporter. That's what my training and my passion are. But reporters do a lot of things I am not really certain I could do these days, like walk for hours or spend hours at a hot county fair covering the livestock contests.
So, these days I freelance. But the news is still in my blood and an infinite part of who I am.
That's why I was a little surprised that no one at the Fourth of July party we attended seemed too concerned about the terrorist attempts in London last week. The closest I got to a response when trying to discuss it was that London is used to car bombs.
What?!!!
I adore some of the people who were at this party, but what?! The mentality if its not happening here or to me so why worry about it makes me understand a lot better how things like Nazi Germany happened. Terrorists tried to attack nightclubs in London and an airport in Glasgow. Doesn't that seem like it should be attention worthy?
I'm not a panic-striken American. I know the odds of being directly touched by a terror attack (as long as I don't travel abroad) are very slim, but I worry about these people who seem to have to care for what's happening in the rest of the world.
I read a book called "Bad News" written by journalists about the failings of journalists and the modern entertainews to warn Americans about the growing resentment we faced worldwide and the potential for terrorist attacks. Teh author said he and fellow international correspondents failed in their duty as journalists because they didn't make sure the story got to middle America.
Now, I suspect it wouldn't have mattered. No one would have paid attention anyway. It frightens me that Americans are more concerned about whether Scooter Libby goes to jail for allegedly lying under oath than whether medical professionals here might be planning the next terrorist attack.
But, I guess, like everyone else, I can just stick my head in the sand until it happens.

No comments: