Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A freak in the MS world...

Everything I've read about MS tells me that it is important to keep my core body temperature down, that too hot short circuits the nerves and can bring on relapses. So, I should be struggling right now with the summer heat.
The weather man said yesterday it will feel like August this week which means temps in the 90s and humid, humid, humid. And, I sit here typing with a blanket around my shoulders. The air condtiioning is set at 74 both to keep my housemates comfy and to conserve energy, but I am downright cold--have been most fo the summer.
I went to the movie theater last night and took a jacket and still missed some of the movie, trying to keep the tip of my nose warm.
I have concluded that I am an MS freak...I don't quite fit the mold of what the disease is supposed to do. And, I'm okay with that.
I think really it's the weirdest of things. The summer that I was misdiagnosed and had the first truly annoying symptons, I worked in a factory where my office was air conditioned, but I had to go out into the factory regularly which was not air conditioned. In mid-summer, that could mean literally a 40 degree (Farenheit) temperature difference. I wonder now if that didn't contribtue to the trigger relapse?
This summer, I am chilly in the house and when I go outside, I am mostly comfortable, until the temperature reaches 90 degrees. Even then, I deal with it better than my husband and my roommate do. Still, I notice that although the heat doesn't bother me as much as it does others, I get weak very quickly when I am out it in.
What I really need is a plce that is 80 degrees in the daytime and 50 degrees at night year round...does such a place exist?

No comments: